You are here

IATSE, Local 500, and The Kravis Center Reach an Agreement

IATSE, Local 500, and the Kravis Center are pleased to have reached an agreement ending the 12-year labor dispute between the parties.

Since opening in 1992, the Kravis Center was professionally staffed and represented by I.A.T.S.E. stagehands operating under a standard Theatrical Stage Union contract. Union stagehands performed all backstage work for all shows that were presented. In June of 2000, after eight (8) years of congenial interaction, the administration of the facility decided to make a change. The Kravis Center fired the union-referred stagehands with no cause whatsoever and gave nonunion workers their jobs at a lower pay. The Kravis Center then repudiated the Union as the collective bargaining representative.

Between September 2000 and December 2012, Local 500 and the Kravis Center had been locked in a bitter labor dispute, which led to several legal proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board and the District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals. The union prevailed at every stage of the litigation.

On December 21, 2012, this long dispute was finally resolved, after the International launched a campaign that included bannering, social media, and ultimately authorized Local 500 to strike the Kravis Center on December 18, 2012. Local 500 entered into a five (5) year contract with the Kravis Center that effectively resolved the twelve plus year legal action waged by the Local.

This agreement effectively ended the strike and allowed for the immediate return to work of the IATSE stagehands at the Kravis Center.

Shortly thereafter, Vice President Phil LoCicero and International Representative Don Gandolini, along with officers of Locals 39, 478 and 840, presented the Road Crew of Jersey Boys Tour 2, a copy of the first settlement check from the Kravis Center. The check was in the amount of $1,033,292.61. In a demonstration of true solidarity, the Road Crew voted unanimously to honor Local 500’s picket line during the 4-day strike in late December 2012. Their valiant support was critical to bringing the 12-year struggle to an end.